I'm a big fan of John's blog and the Angry Mac Bastards podcast so, while I may be something of a Bynkii fanboy, I really think his latest post does a great job of explaining how and when to use social media:
- Social Media is just people talking to people
- Don't do anything with Social Media unless you know what and why you're doing it
- If you're going to say something, have something real to say
- Using Social Media is not magic, it's still real work
- You cannot prevent people from hating you, stop trying to prevent it as a thing Looks simple? It is. Don't overthink this shit, don't give it too much precedence, and don't be afraid to be the last guy on the bus. Do things in a way that works for you, not because someone said you should.
I don't think it gets any easier than that. It's a long post but go, read it. You'll be glad you did. Unless you don't like swearing, in which case, why the fuck are you reading my blog?